3Dfx VooDoo5 5500 AGP Video Card Voltage modification

Aperto da Atom_Anti, 01 Maggio 2010, 09:50:03

Discussione precedente - Discussione successiva

Atom_Anti

Dear Friends,

My VooDoo5 5500 AGP has great overclocking ability; therefore I would like to get more stable MHz with voltage modification.
At this page I found some English source: http://www.forumzone.it/showthread.php?t=9153&page=4
However hard to understand this guide and do not gives enough information to be able to make the modification.
In the beginning he sad GPUs and RAMs are both 2.8 volts powered, but later he wrote the RAMs are 3.3 volts powered. So which is true?
I also understand the mosfet on the lower right corner stabilizes the voltage from 3.3 to 2.8 volts. But what kind of modification should I do with the mosfet if I would like to give 3 volts for the GPUs or the RAMs?
He also mentioned the volt modification works and the VSAs work flawlessly at 3 volts. He did not say anything how he did:que:!?
Reading further his guide, it getting more complicated. Than I can read about 47k timer, 17-18k resistor, and a new modification place in the upper right, near the 4 pin molex connector… Which modification place is for what?

So my question is how could I increase the voltage of my GPUs and RAMs? Would someone please to tell me!?

goriath

Hi Atom_Anti, welcome to forumzone.it

I will try to explain how you can achieve the same result obtained from our priceless user vsa in 2003.

First of all, when he spoke about 3.3V, He was referring to 3.3v voltage from AGP motherboard slot; the Voodoo5 5500 AGP is an AGP 1x adaptor, it means that 3.3v are needed to power-on the card, in particular the memory (SDRAMs memory chip power input = 3.3V)

So, He spoke about an HEXFET power mosfet (the device located in the lower right corner of the PCB). That transistor get the 3.3v voltage and reduce it to 2.8v, it seems to be the voltage that vsa found to work with the VSA-100s chip at default. Actually, a VSA-100 need 2.5V directly to the core, as reference specification, but it is possible 3dfx chose to raise up the voltage to 2.8V, maybe in order to get 166MHz stable operation. BTW, that is the idea; keep raising up the voltage to 3.00V in order to run the card stable at 200MHz. This is what we calling overvolting. Theoretically, the more voltage you increase, the higher clock speed you get, but this is very very dangerous. So He cooled the card putting heatsinks on memory chip and on the back of VSA-100s.

What do you need?

You only need to remove the R113 resistor in the upper right corner of the card. In its place, you must solder a 47K potentiometer and set it to the minimum value. Put the card at work. Take your multimeter and link the black lead to the ground, while the red one to last pin of the power mosfet, in order to read measurements in real time as you turn the potentiometer seeking for the 3.0V. Your Voodoo5 has been overvolted. Here a pic of what we are talking about:

Messaggio dalla redazione:
Contenuto non disponibile in quanto rimosso da server esterno o server esterno off line

Note: IMHO, 3.3V from the AGP slot are needed only for I/O operations and for SDRAMs memory. VSA-100s are powered by the AUX molex connector, trough the power-plane with the 2-phase synchro step-down switching regulator controller, the IC located down the R113 resistor, that manage 5V and 12V instead.

Good luck!
OLD SCHOOL: Because it was done right the first time
/!\\ PM box piena: per contattarmi inviatemi una mail

PhilAnselmo@Superjoint

Citazione di: goriath;170193Hi Atom_Anti, welcome to forumzone.it

I will try to explain how you can achieve the same result obtained from our priceless user vsa in 2003.

First of all, when he spoke about 3.3V, He was referring to 3.3v voltage from AGP motherboard slot; the Voodoo5 5500 AGP is an AGP 1x adaptor, it means that 3.3v are needed to power-on the card, in particular the memory (SDRAMs memory chip power input = 3.3V)

So, He spoke about an HEXFET power mosfet (the device located in the lower right corner of the PCB). That transistor get the 3.3v voltage and reduce it to 2.8v, it seems to be the voltage that vsa found to work with the VSA-100s chip at default. Actually, a VSA-100 need 2.5V directly to the core, as reference specification, but it is possible 3dfx chose to raise up the voltage to 2.8V, maybe in order to get 166MHz stable operation. BTW, that is the idea; keep raising up the voltage to 3.00V in order to run the card stable at 200MHz. This is what we calling overvolting. Theoretically, the more voltage you increase, the higher clock speed you get, but this is very very dangerous. So He cooled the card putting heatsinks on memory chip and on the back of VSA-100s.

What do you need?

You only need to remove the R113 resistor in the upper right corner of the card. In its place, you must solder a 47K potentiometer and set it to the minimum value. Put the card at work. Take your multimeter and link the black lead to the ground, while the red one to last pin of the power mosfet, in order to read measurements in real time as you turn the potentiometer seeking for the 3.0V. Your Voodoo5 has been overvolted. Here a pic of what we are talking about:

Messaggio dalla redazione:
Contenuto non disponibile in quanto rimosso da server esterno o server esterno off line

Note: IMHO, 3.3V from the AGP slot are needed only for I/O operations and for SDRAMs memory. VSA-100s are powered by the AUX molex connector, trough the power-plane with the 2-phase synchro step-down switching regulator controller, the IC located down the R113 resistor, that manage 5V and 12V instead.

Good luck!

Molto interessante, piacerebbe anche a me eseguire la VoltMod, pero sinceramente, non è che abbia capito poi cosi tanto.

E' possibile avere una guida con elencati i materiali/componenti necessari?

Grazie :)
PC1:E5200@3.6 - P5Q-SE - 2x2pc6400 - RadeonHD4850 - Seagate500gbSata2
PC2: AthlonXP2000+ - MSI KT3Ultra - 2X512HyperX - 3DFX Voodoo5 5500 - Maxtor60GB

goriath

Citazione di: PhilAnselmo@Superjoint;170843Molto interessante, piacerebbe anche a me eseguire la VoltMod, pero sinceramente, non è che abbia capito poi cosi tanto.

E' possibile avere una guida con elencati i materiali/componenti necessari?

Grazie :)

Eppure mi sembra abbastanza chiaro. Sono di fretta ora, per cui ti do il link alla stessa discussione su 3dfxzone: 3Dfx VooDoo5 5500 AGP Video Card Voltage modification

Comunque ci dovrebbe essere anche una guida nella home.
OLD SCHOOL: Because it was done right the first time
/!\\ PM box piena: per contattarmi inviatemi una mail

PhilAnselmo@Superjoint

Ok, mi sono procurato tutto quello che mi serve:
multimetro digitale
trimmer da 50k n.2 pezzi
saldatore a stilo
filo di stagno e filo elettrico

Ora non resta che imparare ad usare il multimetro :) anche perchè non mi sono mai cimentato nel campo della elettronica.....

Allora, il multimetro in questione è questo:

Dove collego i due puntali? Ha 3 fori, quello di sinistra e quello centrale con scritto 10ADC e quello centrale e quello di destra con scritto V"omega"mA, dove collego i puntali per le misurazioni?
E dove devo impostarla la rotella?

Grazie!
PC1:E5200@3.6 - P5Q-SE - 2x2pc6400 - RadeonHD4850 - Seagate500gbSata2
PC2: AthlonXP2000+ - MSI KT3Ultra - 2X512HyperX - 3DFX Voodoo5 5500 - Maxtor60GB