3dfx Voodoo5 6000 First Watercooling Edition (updated)

Aperto da trevormacro, 27 Marzo 2012, 21:59:00

Discussione precedente - Discussione successiva

trevormacro

Hello,

After have done my Voodoo5 6000 Gold Second Edtion I have a new project : Voodoo5 6000 rev.3700A WaterCooling edition. (with a special hard work of an excellent man)

Messaggio dalla redazione:
Contenuto non disponibile in quanto rimosso da server esterno o server esterno off line

Step by step :

- Waterblocks :

That is the coding that allows the machine to make that logo on front waterblock

Contenuto non disponibile in quanto rimosso da server esterno o server esterno off line

Delrin + Copper

Voodoo5 6000 heatsinks removed

Just a quick sketch up of the card and what needs to be cooled.
the green is the pcb, the bright red is the HiNT chip, and the 4 squares are the GPU's.

The whole back of the card will be cooled.* One large block.* a large single piece of thermal tape will be used.

The one large sheet will touch every inch of the board and pull the heat off.

the chips themselves get hot. The back of the chips were probably getting hot from the lack of cooling on the top of them.

This rear block will take off any heat the top block will produce.* It will pull any heat off of every component that it touches.

A CAD model of the card.* Things to cool in black, and things to avoid in red, and the very limited holes in the board.

Basic overall shape :

The blue outline that is the funny shape is the copper
the black outline is the overall card.
The copper is what needs to be touching the chips, so I will avoid all those red areas.
The plastic is thick enough to just mill out depressions for the components.
So the black plastic will cover the entire card
giving you the sleek appearance of a seamless block.
A copper plate that touches the HiNT chip, GPU's and Ram.
Then the black plastic is a much larger piece that covers most of the card.
Each block will be 19mm thick.
V5k6 card is 1.6mm thick, and 19mm of copper and plastic on each side

All of my stuff (WaterCooling kit).
I can't put into words, how powerful just one of those fans are.
I will have to screw this thing to a table.
I firmly believe that the radiator will levitate if all three are on.
I am still speechless from the power of a single fan.
I have all the power imaginable, and it sounds like a jet starting up :)

Delta Fans 120 mm * 38 mm - 252 CFM ai capacity* :

Here is a print to scale (I hope) version of the copper section of the waterblock.

The plastic top part will have the same top and left boundaries.

Cut a prototype out of aluminum

Here is a basic prototype of the copper board that will touch all the chips.

A few minor improvements to a few lines of code and it will be ready to cut.

Block progress :

The backside blocks initial outer shape is cut. Fits like a charm.

Milling of the Vram section:

I have good news and bad news. The bad news is the O-ring sealing didnt work. Thats a simple fix-i will seal it with a silicone gasket sealant along with the O-rings. So thats really not a big issue. It will never ever leak.
The good news is the block is very effective. when i was doing the leak test i pumped some cold water and the block instantly got very cold. The performance of these blocks are very good!

The blocks are just about finished as far as basic construction.

I came up with an idea to make a seperate plate for it with the logo. I attached a pic of the 0.25" plate.* The logo will go on that plate to give it some personality.

Beginning 3dfx logo :

Cutting the plate :

I wanted to have copper in the logo correct.

Sheet copper for the logo arrived (0.032" sheet copper).
...Working on logo now :-)...

Still a little more work to do, but its getting there :

This is the overall size of the logo. Now comes the hard part, filling that logo with a solid sheet of polished copper.

The next step is trying to cut the identical logo out of copper, just a hair smaller so it drops right into that logo and glue it into place.

Filling 3dfx logo with copper :

Video :

3dfx logo in action :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJy7g9QmU5w

Magic moment no?

The end of the "X" is 0.7mm thick.* That was no easy task
Here are the results :)

A close up of the end of that swoosh:

0.8mm thick.

A view of my backyard:

An overall finished logo:

Rear Plastic :

Voodoo5 6000 logo :

First step :

Front waterblock:

He came across a slight problem. H can't mount the plate without covering the holes.
Rear plate would cover up holes.
The solution is I stick it on.
I can purchase a special role of tape so I can remove it whenever I want.
I can purchase some extra tape to stick the rear plate on waterblock.
That is a very easy solution.

Still trying to dress up the Voodoo5 plate, but here its almost finished. Both blocks are sealed watertight now. Just awaiting installation...

I present to you the completed front side GPU block:

Voodoo5 6000 logo:

Video :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6dtdUe1NqU

Here is the finished plate.* He put tape on the back so I can stick it on when I want.

He have been test fitting the contact of the card for hours...

Bonus Time:

The POWER of Delta fans:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9_L_Rz6H5M

3dfx waterblock leak test:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LR_L9in2AiE

The last part:

Enclosing a bag of spacers (washers) that are plastic. They need to be stacked 2 high on each side of the card.

The 3dfx Voodoo5 6000 Watercooling Legend Edition:

Thanks for Nateman_doo.

An Amazing Man...

Videos :

First :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ci7J7gEdsrk

Second :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4M9pWfutlXM

Third :

http://youtu.be/QiQyRnStHGU

Your reactions?

...Still In Development...

maverick85

peppos83

HD3850 - V5 5500pci (Tnx Amigamerlin) - SIS Mirage Graphics Sfidatemi :kazim:

trevormacro

Hello,

I just received package with the 3dfx Voodoo5 6000 Watercooling Legend Edition...

Here are the pictures:

Unpacking...

The card  ::)

This weekend, I will test the boot of the card just to see if she works, without water.
I let you know.
I have fear  :-X
I am waiting for the Watercooling system parts package now.

trevormacro

Today, I have tested the Voodoo5 6000 Watercooling Legend Edition booting without water.
Just to see if the card boot...

Here are results and pictures:

Card and Adaptors ready to test:

Assembled:

Complete PC with the card:

Turn ON:

V5k6 Bios:

Booting video:
http://youtu.be/kk-0aPfs2pc

As you can see, this is a successful booting test :)

trevormacro

Hi,

Waiting the Voodoo5 6000 Watercooling Legend Test, I make for you a little video...

http://youtu.be/tXNRnvZjbqE

One Teaser with a great music...

http://youtu.be/vJJI4UnL6iM

Feel free to post your coms...

Thanks.

trevormacro

Hello,

Today I make Quake 3 Benchmark with my Voodoo5 6000 Watercooling Legend Edition card at different frequencies.

Here are the results...

Picture:

Video:

http://youtu.be/bn7sQCIb00U

Any Reactions?

Glide

Hi trevormacro.

Interesting tests. But I've some problem to read the frame rates printed by the Quake III Arena's console.

So could you post these here, please? In fact I'd understand how this card 3dfx Voodoo5 6000 performs while the VSA-100 chips are working at several frequencies.

Tnx.

Bye bye

trevormacro

Citazione di: Glide;179085Hi trevormacro.

Interesting tests. But I've some problem to read the frame rates printed by the Quake III Arena's console.

So could you post these here, please? In fact I'd understand how this card 3dfx Voodoo5 6000 performs while the VSA-100 chips are working at several frequencies.

Tnx.

Bye bye

Hi,

Here are the results:

@185 MHz : 138 FPS
@192 MHz : 141,6 FPS
@198 MHZ : 146,8 FPS
@200 MHZ : 148,4 FPS

Today, I have tested my card with a new frequency.

Now, the Delta Fans don't touch the desktop.

Pictures:

Video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WH2V_RcuX74

Any reactions?

Can you make an article on the Voodoo5 6000 WC Legend Edition?

Regards,

Trevormacro

Glide

Hi trevormacro,

many thanks for your feedback.

So the frame rate grows with the VSA-100's frequencies, also if the improvements are lower than my expectations.

Besides, could you measure the operating temperature of the graphics chips with both this customized cooling system and the reference coolers, while the 6k runs the same bench?

Bye bye